Show Notes Explanation
Hey everyone, this is Senthil. Welcome to another episode of SEO On-Air. If you are a frequent listener of our show, you’d know that we’ve covered a lot of topics on e-commerce SEO. Of late, we’ve received a lot of requests on SEO tips for law firms.
According to research, around 96% of people seeking legal services use search engines in their research process, and almost 75% of people visit a law firm website to look for resolutions.
To speak more on this topic, we have Mr. Seth Price. He is the Founding and Managing Partner of Price Benowitz LLP, a mid-size law firm with around 40 attorneys and the founder of full-service digital marketing agency BluShark Digital. Welcome to the show, Seth.
Time Stamp: 02:42-06:35
What are the fundamentals of law firm SEO?
- I think SEO fundamentals are SEO fundamentals. Certain nuances are essential for legal SEO.
- If you are a lawyer doing SEO for bar licenses and use languages like “best lawyer” or any other substantiated claims, it can get you into a lot of trouble.
- Next, it can be hyper-competitive, much more than other areas.
- Therefore, I feel it is a combination of needing a very high level of expertise and implementation of that expertise combining with the nuances of bar regulations.
- The third contributing factor is that lawyers are themselves difficult to deal with. Not all lawyers are rational people.
- If you can handle high-quality content, authoritative links, a well-structured site, and a good focus on GMB and local SEO, you’ll be successful in any business. These four elements are the fundamentals of SEO.
Time Stamp: 06:51-08:32
What, according to you, is the right approach for keyword research for a law firm website?
- I don’t think there’s a right keyword approach. It mostly depends on the market.
- As a lawyer, you know what types of cases you want and what words are relevant.
- I love the idea of “you know your money” keywords, and as you go up the hierarchy, you can go for longer-tail keywords that may not be high-volume, but you know if somebody searches for that, you could earn good ROI.
Time Stamp: 08:43-10:52
Can you suggest content marketing strategies for law firms?
- Google is now savvy enough to understand where the content is written.
- The hardest thing to do in terms of content is to write content that resonates with the audience and the Google bots.
- I feel that writing high-quality content is one of the essential aspects of a law firm.
- The ideal would be to bring high-quality content and quality links together in a site together for law firms.
Time Stamp: 11:21-15:31
How do lawyers plan their content strategy around different areas of practice?
- For personal injury and medical malpractice lawyers, most digital marketing money is spent.
- Criminal Defense is another area where people are most likely to go online to find answers to find solutions.
- For issues like same-sex divorces, one person can have a single resource on it, among other areas, while another one can have a library of resources of same-sex divorces only.
- When someone searches for same-sex divorces, you might have less search volume if you focus only on one area, but the information can be vast.
Time Stamp: 15:58-19:47
Is it advisable to go for exact match domains?
- Back in the day, exact-match domains dominated, but Google came up with an algorithm change, and they said we don’t want exact-match domain names.
- But then, Google said that was too much because the person with the exact-match domain must be an expert in that area.
- What Google didn’t want was to have single-page websites with an exact-match domain.
- Therefore, the exact-match domain is advisable if it doesn’t hurt your business. However, in today’s standard, brand beats exact-match. So you have to balance what makes sense given your situation.
Time Stamp: 20:24-21:46
What are the things that you’d recommend for law firms that are starting off just now?
- The first piece is getting the four basic fundamentals that we spoke of earlier.
- Then comes localized content and links, GMB, and every other tool that will enhance your local presence.
- You must strive to improve your local authority.
Time Stamp: 22:03-28:40
Is it a safe bet to follow sites that link best law firms area-wise?
- Directories started as significant resources, but over the years, they phased out.
- Google algorithm has given a lot of love to directories over the years. They take up a couple of rankings in the SERP.
- I think that it is an entire discussion onto itself as far as whether or not you can get ROI by buying locations on those listings.
- As a law firm, in my opinion, there is no guarantee that it’s going to stay in that listing, and the conversion will continue to be that good.
- As an SEO, you don’t want to pay a monthly fee for a directory listing, but you have to do that because of lead generation through it.
- So my suggestion will be sometimes to money ball it.